One has to be particularly careful when selecting nicknames. I look back over my childhood and I recall the nicknames of my siblings:

Julianne (aka Juln Ms. Coleman aka Princess Queen Ishcabible (sp?))
Tom (aka TC aka Kinnies aka Snaggletooth)
Rob (aka Big Robs aka Robert the Brave)
Susan (aka Bug)

If one looks at these nicknames with a careful eye, at least one pops out as perhaps a nickname the recipient of which might not want to go into the cold cruel world with. Interestingly enough, I believe it is also the nickname that stuck the best.

With that observation, I am (understandably) a little concerned about the nickname that Tracey and I have bequeathed upon our first born. It fits the criteria (as I see them) of a nickname:
It's cute
It's a diminutive
It's easy to remember

What more could one want? Well, Tracey grew up with Wunk and Teek (TK), my daughter has started life with "Booga".

If you recall one of my earlier notes, one of Dad's favorite songs to sing to the young impressionable Melinda Clare "Booga" Coleman, was the "Booga, booga, booga" song. I’m fairly certain that that is from whence the Booga nickname came. Alas, as a new parent I have already started losing my mind and I can not recall starting to use the nickname, but at some point, we did, and it has stuck.

The other night, I mentioned the problem with the nickname to Tracey, so we tried out a couple others (Mindy, Mel, Linda, Lindy (from TraceyƂ’s Grandma)). My friend Marty has at other times suggested Sparky and Marty. Of the choices, I liked Mel best. Tracey promptly put the kabash on Mel.

So we're left with Booga (which I secretly still like). Note to parents of children without nicknames, be careful what you call your progeny, you may be calling them that for some time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Day 2 - post arctic blast

Surprises on my final day

Mary Stories