from Tracey

When I was still pregnant, a mom of 2 told me that the first time she went out with 2 kids by herself was a huge ordeal, but that you just have to do it. Kim can probably relate as well. Well, today it is sunny and 40 degrees, beautiful day, so I decided to take my chances and take my girls (?!) to the mall.

Let me just say we have a ways to go on the efficiency scale! Melinda woke up at 7:05 (I was already feeding Gretchen), and we didn't leave until 10:00. I'm not exactly sure where the bottleneck occurred, perhaps with the 2-year-old who wanted to make a game out of getting dressed, or perhaps with the baby who, when I was THIS close to being ready at 9:15, decided she had to eat immediately.

I have also discovered that 2-year-olds (at least mine) just have no concept of time. I have told Melinda that when it's cold out, we need to move QUICKLY getting into the car so we don't freeze. Our definitions of "quickly" are no where near the same. So I am learning to accommodate hers rather than feel my blood pressure spike! :-)

Both Melinda and Gretchen were absolute angels in the mall -- Gretchen slept the whole time and Melinda had a snack and looked around, content in the front of the stroller. So I was able to meet my goals of learning how to drive the tank that is my new double stroller and getting some exercise by doing a few laps around the mall. Even did a return at Eddie Bauer and snagged some bargains at Gymboree (thank goodness for their TV!).

I've also figured out that 2 smaller diaper bags (1 per kid) are better than my big one in this stroller, at least for now. And I got the stroller collapsed on the first try. My plan is to do this at least twice a week until we have to go out for real, when Melinda has a 9:30 a.m. class in a couple weeks. (You see the reason for my concern over morning efficiency!) Then I can tackle other challenges like how to get them both in a shopping cart and still have room for the stuff we need to buy. :-)

Having two kids is terrific, just a whole new set of logistical challenges!

Hope you all are having a good week!

Tracey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Day 2 - post arctic blast

Surprises on my final day

Mary Stories