I moved my family website from a publicly hosted spot to a company server (and put new pictures from Connecticut) http://fitest.inspect.com/coleman
It'll be http://www.chicagocolemanfamily.com/">www.chicagocolemanfamily.com(it's not - don't click that link) just as soon as I can convince Tracey that the $50 a year is worth it for a vanity plate...
---
Did the camping thing this weekend with Melinda for the first time.

Tracey has about as much interest in camping as skydiving. Thus, it'll be a daddy-daughter thing until one or both girls gives up playing with worms (more on that in a bit). Gretchen too decided to sit this one out(she can go when she's potty trained).

I met a buddy of mine from High School (Mike) and his 5-year old daughter in Buckhorn State Park in Wisconsin. He drove down from St. Paul. Buckhorn is about 3 hours for each of us.

The girls had a great time. None of the things that bothered me bothered them. No sore backs, or complaints about the lousy food. Melinda's favorite part (as she now remembers it) was the fire. She also got to try poptarts, gorp and peeing in the woods for the first time (I admit to the last one, only because today Melinda told Tracey today as they were leaving the park, "Mommy, I have to go potty. Daddy let me pee in the woods when we went camping." I'm sure - ratting me out.)

We also canoed for an hour and a half. The girls were great, just watched the scenery go by. Melinda eventually figured out that she could drag a hand in the water and grab lily pads - and that was her favorite part. The canoeing was the high point for Mike and I. For the only time all weekend, we didn't have to say, "DON'T [fill in the blank with parent speak]"

Fishing too was a high point. Knowing full well the attention span of my daughter, I spent $6 on line, bobbers and hooks. I cut notches in paint stirers and TA DA. Fishing rods. (note to other well meaning fathers - cheap rods can be had for $10. Splurge) On day 2, Melanie taught Melinda how to cut worms in half - "You hold this part, I'll hold this part. Pull!" If only my camera was closer. Mike thinks he caught it on Melanie's camera. We'll see. Stay tuned to the website above.

Lots of swimming. Only 75, but recognizing chattering teeth as the first clue to hypothermia is for adults. The pool, the lake. Doesn't matter. As long as it's wet and she can dunk her head under water. Melinda really is a fish. She's about six warm weeks to having this swimming thing down. She stands on the poolside and says, "Daddy, backup. WAY BACK!" then jumps from the edge into the water. She hangs in the water until she's lost all forward motion (head under water) and then starts kicking furiously toward me (limited use of the arms). She actually swims. Just doesn't know how to lift her head and get a breath of air - we're working on it.

Finally, we found the perfect spot for next year. Right on the water. Private. Inside the park. One-mile walk to the site.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Day 2 - post arctic blast

Surprises on my final day

Mary Stories