Surprises on my final day

It's surprising to me that in only a couple hours, I've been able to learn so much about people that I've been interacting over the phone for the last three months. The view I had been able to build was so incomplete. A meal here, a short Several from my team Udupa kneeling with his son, Siva, Manjunath, Sudhakar (Soumik took the photo)conversation there - suddenly these relationships go from being superficial and one-dimensional to much richer. People that I've been speaking with have families and lives outside of work (not really an earth shattering revelation, but I surprised at how much it matters).

It is also surprising (to me) that my capacity and willingness to try new things has limits. At home, I am always pushing for, "Let's go out and eat Chinese, or Korean or Indian." I thought I was game for anything new any time (or all the time). I've found that after only a week, I'm actually hungering for something more familiar more what I'm used to. Aside - I'm actually thinking back to my lunch. I had a dish (Indian obviously) that actually evoked some of that kind of feeling. No idea what the name was, but I know I have had had it in the past - and I quite like it. This certainly could become a warm and familiar place for me.

Finally - India is a surprising place. It's not just the place to outsource IT jobs. It's a fantastically rich country and a fantastically poor country. Many similar challenges to what we face in the US. Some with different solutions, and some where the problems are ignored.

It's a long journey home. In my email to Gretchen this morning I spelled it out for her:
Car - 4 hours
Airport - 3 hours
Flight - 1.5 hours
Wait - 4 hours
Flight - 8 hours
Wait - 2 hours
Flight - 8 hours

Home for tuna casserole

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tuna Cassarole - Really?!? Or is that a euphamism that I am not getting?

Very Cool to read about your trip.

-Mike
Rob said…
Really. That was what I was looking forward to. Alas, I got home too late, we just had sandwiches. But, they were regular sandwiches. Hit hte spot.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Day 2 - post arctic blast

Mary Stories