My daughter is right handed. (I think). That was definitely a cool realization. At first, with her sucking her left thumb almost exclusively, I thought maybe she'd be a lefty - a rebel, an aggressive, unorthodox thinker. But no, she prefers the right. She must be a conventional, stodgy, play by the rules woman. I know she a righty, because she likes to grab toys with the right, even if they're more convenient to the left hand. It's fun to watch her make that sort of decision, and laboriously reach across her body to pick something up.

Oh yeah, she picks things up (and drops them). One of our magazines said that we're (Tracey and I) supposed to pick them up for her (even once it becomes a game). It seems that controlling her environment is good for her self-esteem. Who knew that babies had self-esteem?

Melinda started on solid (mushy) foods. Her first food was peach mush. My first attempt was very much like the stereotypical Dad feeding his child. I think it was Dave Berry who suggested that kids don't eat food, they absorb it through their skin. In hindsight, pears would have been better to start with (they blend in better). We probably worked through three teaspoons (75 baby spoonfuls). One went on her bib, one on her face, and one in her mouth.

Since then, she's done much better. She'll now eat a whole 2 1/2 ounce jar in a sitting - and not even make too much of a mess. I'm sure we're in for it once we move on to vegetables (probably next week). She won't like them or they'll stain everything - probably both. ASIDE. that's been my attitude for just about everything. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. She's just so wonderful all the time (most of the time), I keep waiting to be blindsided. Very little to do with rearing, just good genes.

She's talking. Well, she says "Ma" lots - to no one in particular. Mostly when she gets cranky. She also loves to stand. Mostly because it means that Dad had to hold on to her hands, hips or head - which is certainly not a resting position. She loves to stand on my chest. She sits (pretty well). She also falls over (better than she sits). One of these days she's either going to rollover or graduate from High School. She must have a heavy butt or something. She's like a weeble, almost over, and then right back to where she started.



WORK

I've moved on from ABN to Ameritech to SwissBank (United Bank of Switzerland). Ameritech was nice - 10 minutes from home. Close enough to come home for lunch. A couple times I brought my boss and played some ping pong. But, now I'm a SwissBank (Downtown) for the next two months assisting a number of groups improve their testing practices, starting with the year 2000 group. I've also started working out again (finishing up week three). Up at five, on the train at 6:15. It is early, but it means I get to catch an early train home to see my family.

In the end of May I have a conference (Testing for the Year 2000) to go to in San Francisco. It's a whole week, and I'm bringing the family. We'll be staying with the Oleseks this time (as the conference is in SF, they're more convenient than the Kemps). Susan tells me that Brooks still isn't so keen on his crib and that Melinda is welcome to it (good deal).

We're also going to Matt's wedding next week. Melinda mentioned that she's looking forward to meeting more of the extended Coleman family. Actually, she smiled, and said "Ma." The rest is just my spin on things.

Susan and I talked the other night and she mentioned that the topics of conversation with her friends with kids are as follows: sleep, BMs, hair, eating and weight. She and I proceeded to talk about sleep, BMs, hair, eating and weight. Pretty exciting life. I think I've covered most of those - wait - Melinda is sleeping well and she pooped yesterday.

(I can't wait until she's 16 and reading all the embarrassing email I send about her)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Day 2 - post arctic blast

Surprises on my final day

Mary Stories