Last summer (‘18) I had the National Archives send me my Grandfather’s service record (55 pages, lots of insurance forms). There’s a link to that set of documents below. From Alfred Hoyle’s pay record , I’m starting to piece together what I think Grandpa did during WWII. Looks like basic training at Parris Island SC, Mechanic’s training at Camp Lejune NC and then deployed to 2nd Marines 2nd Separate Engineer Battalion in the Pacific. Likely saw / experienced some / all of the Battle of Okinawa . The 2nd Marines did their occupation time in Nagasaki (atomic bomb #2), which matches what I've heard about Grandpa's service I have very few stories from his time in the Marines (one I do have, I’ve added as a likely event with the historical context below). I don’t think he spoke much of his time. I will bug John this summer (and now). If you've got stories you know / remember, I'd like to capture them. Marine PFCs made $54 / month dur...
My kids are off at University and all my high school booster responsibilities are done. I've downsized and I have some extra free time. For years I've said that I would like to teach and a little opportunity to do just that came up. I grabbed it. I've found a company run by a tech guy in his spare time that offers various after school STEM programs. He's got loads of things he offers to schools / PTAs. This group selected an after school enrichment class in software coding. The curriculum is self paced and drag & drop. The essentially make programs out of virtual Lego blocks. Today was the first day of class. We're got kids from 1st grade to 6th grade. There's 13 of them. Some observations. Second graders are different than 5th graders. The little kids' fine motor skills are not as developed as the big kids. Mouse pad movements was often done with their ...
Last night I sat down with Melinda and watched her. It really is amazing. She's so wonderful. One of these days she's going to figure out how to sit up (or roll over or stand or compose poetry). She is so happy (most of the time). She smiles and giggles and loves to play. She likes to do bicycle legs (not so often to the Da Song anymore). Last night, Tracey and I attempted to assemble our photo wall. This is a project that we've been discussing for over a year. We (she) finally went out and purchased some frames for the pictures we knew we wanted to have up on the wall. So last night, we were checking who we were missing. We started this immediately after dinner and at about the same time that Melinda got "The Crabbies". She hadn't napped, so we figured, put her in the bouncy chair, rock her a couple times - bam! she'd be out and we have an hour or so to figure out our photos. No luck. She cried for half an hour. In exasperation, I fed her, Ea...
Comments